Medical History Form helps in gathering a complete and accurate medical history. It is extremely important as genetic medicine explains more diseases. Several tools have been developed to aid both the physician/health care provider and the patient in documenting family history. If you or a member of your family has a medical emergency, the physician will need a complete medical history. This form is convenient to use for documentation.
You inherit half of your genetic profile from each parent. Along with the genetic information that determines your appearance, you also inherit genes that might cause or increase your risk of certain medical conditions. A Medical History Form can reveal the history of disease in your family and allow you to identify patterns that might be relevant to your own health.
Medical History Form Uses
Your doctor might use your medical history form to:
- Assess your risk of certain diseases
- Recommend treatments or changes in diet or other lifestyle habits to reduce the risk of disease
- Determine which diagnostic tests to order
- Determine the type and frequency of screening tests
- Determine whether you or family members should get a specific genetic test
- Identify a condition that might not otherwise be considered
- Identify other family members who are at risk of developing a certain disease
- Assess your risk of passing conditions on to your children
A family medical history can’t predict your future health. It only provides information about risk. Other factors — such as your diet, weight, exercise routine and exposure to environmental factors — also affect your risk of developing certain diseases.